Exterior Siding & Soffit
Exterior siding is visible from a distance so why not make a good first impression? Real wood siding makes a statement. It says I’m proud of my home and I’m not going to cut corners. Plus it has an appealing, natural beauty and energy that only comes from a natural substance. At RBM Lumber we have hundreds of siding options to choose from to get the exact look you want.
Exterior Wood Decking
At RBM we can confer with you about your deck, and the other rough or dimensional lumber you may need to complete the project.
Count on RBM to supply you with all the wood you need for your decking project: the deck, posts, railings, spindles, rafters, and beams. You supply the view!
Wood Siding Profiles
- BEVEL: (also known as lap siding) Always has a horizontal application with a thin top edge and a thick butt which laps over the thin edge.
Widths: 4”, 6”, 8”
Species: Cedar and Spruce
Grades: select and #2 tight knot
Textures: band saw and smooth
- LOG CABIN SIDING: We make our log cabin siding (LCS) from full 2” boards which means it finishes at 1¾” thick compared to less than 1½” on typical LCS. This gives it a much more rounded face giving it a more authentic appearance.
Widths: 6” and 8”
Species: Fir and Larch (F&L) and White Woods (Alpine Fir, Grand Fir and/or Spruce)
Grades: #2 and #3
- NATURAL EDGE: (One edge siding) this is a rough cut at ¾” thick and has one straight edge on top and a natural edge exposed on the bottom. It is always applied horizontally. We hand-pick logs with more character to give it a very rustic, pioneer feel.
Species: F&L only
- CHANNEL RUSTIC: Has a vertical application but is frequently misapplied horizontally. Has a rough face with a narrow, smooth channel at the edge and is a shiplap product.
Species: Cedar, F&L and White Wood (Alpine Fir, Grand Fir, and/or Spruce)
Grades: #2 and #3
Textures: typically has a rough face but can be smooth
- DROP SIDING: Is basically the same as Channel Rustic but has a coped channel that will shed the weather for a horizontal application and comes in the same options as Channel Rustic.
- TONGUE and GROOVE: Exterior tongue and groove is usually used for soffit material. Any of the T&G paneling products in the 12% moisture can be used as exterior siding.
- BOARD and BAT: This is simply wide rough boards applied vertically with a narrow strip nailed over the crack between the wider boards. Any species, grade, or width may be used.
NOTES on exterior siding:
- The ideal moisture content for exterior wood products is 12% since it will dry down to 8 to 10 percent in the summer and come up to 16 percent in the winter.
- All exterior wood siding should be sealed on the back before installation to protect it from moisture which inevitably gets behind the siding.
- The only real disadvantage to real wood siding is that it requires periodical maintenance.
- There are a lot of ideas on the best way to install exterior siding and not all of them have the permanent effect you want. If you are uncertain about installation ask us for some helpful tips.